Friday, December 30

Highs & Lows of 2005

One of my favorite youth group practices was the last five minutes in which all who attended shared what was the Hi and Lo of their week. A kind of reminder to count your blessings. So rather than bore everyone with the extended list here's my top 5 and my bottom 5.

Lows:
5. They're right don't drink the water in Mexico. I think Matt and I drank a little while swimming in an underground river. I spent our last there in bed sick, while Matt was ok. The following day Matt got sick and had to fly home ill. (GROSS).
4. dropping my electives and having to finish school one semester late.
3. hospitals & doctors visits
2. chemotherapy
1. umm, cancer.
Highs:
5
. Mexico, ahh vacation. (I'm ready to return)
4. That 15 passenger can wreck in Appalachia, that led to my cancer diagnosis. Prior to the wreck I had NO symptoms.
3. Amazing student health insurance! I will pay less in tuition (student loans) that the school has already paid for my health care!!!
2. I don't want to toot my own horn but we really did have a bitchin' hitchin'! It was great to be surrounded and supported by so many amazing people-- and I had a great time.
1. Marring the aMazing Matthew Krings who I am blessed and amazed by every day!


Important Lessons learned:
--Illness is a great lesson in who my friends are. I discovered what a great family I married into, and appreciate my parents & family (here & gone) in a new way.
-- Attitude is everything.
-- Meeting some amazing fellow cancer ass kickers (hello Ed & Julie), have taught us how to have fun at chemo & how not to take the medical system lying down.
-- QUESTION EVERYTHING!

3 comments:

amber said...

That is a good practice, Meg.
Of anyone who has had true highs and lows this year, you are definitely the person I know who has had the most dramatic year. But your courage & spirit & faith continue to amaze me.

Hope 2006 is the best year ever!

Laura said...

Excellent calls on all of them, especially the 'question everything!' I am so glad that you took the time to share this and I'm definately going to do the same today. Take care, kiddo and keep warm. ~Laura

Heather said...

You certainly have had a pendulum year, my friend. May 2006 offer more highs than lows!