Wednesday, October 17

endurance

RUNNING:
I received an e-mail today proclaiming that there are only 18 days remaining until the NYC marathon! Really? I can't believe it's so soon. Granted when I've trained for other events, it was six months from the race day, and this time I opted to start training maybe two and a half months before the race. After this weekend's last long run, I will offically begin my taper. For the first time in recent history I've been doing the majority of my training alone. While I enjoyed training with Mr. K this summer- I do enjoy the long runs alone. But if you ask me during that run, I may disagree with you. So this weekend rather than do a twenty-mile run alone, I'm going with Andrew to Des Moines. Where we have both registered for their marathon. Only I'm just going to run twenty miles, and let Andrew run the full 26.2. I'll get the crowd, the benefits of being in a race (water and Gatorade- I hope), and perhaps my only chance to do a marathon with Andrew.

SURVIORSHIP DUES:
I went in for my regular six-month poking from my oncologist (short story, all is good I'm okay, but annoyed). I've heard other cancer survivors refer to these visits similar to seeing a parole officer. I've never been on parole, but I imagine that it could be as annoying as the blood taking, the repeating medical history to the new intern so he doesn't have to read my chart, and then getting poked and prodded. This will only be aggravated by the huge medical bill I'll receive in three months for the fifteen seconds I actually saw Dr. Chen- and the ten or so words he may have spoken to me. What a rip off. Plus none of this will ultimately indicate to anyone if I've relapsed- a good ole' CT scan will. I'd like to skip my Dr. Chen visit and just get the CT scan, then have my radiologist, Dr. Minn give me the results - he's far more personable.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Congratulations on your good health and good luck on your marathon!