Monday, November 21

Return to Chemo -- start of round 4

Most chemo mornings I roll out of bed as late as possible and procrastinate the morning dull-drums as long as I. Then if I'm lucky, we depart in the thick of the morning rush hour. This last Friday I rose much earlier than the sun to take Matt to the airport. (Matt was in Nashville, TN for a Youth Work Convo). So the lovely and gracious Ms. Dawn Kujawa took a day off work and joined me (some will recall her as the self titled 'Bride's Bitch' from our wedding. After watching the wedding video this week I realize just how much work that poor chick had to do--- needless to say she has earned my undying affection and admiration). When I returned to the apartment to await Dawn's arrival (she also had to rise much earlier than the sun, and much earlier than her alarm typically wakes her).

Once at UIC we did the hurry up and wait thing, that hospitals are so good at. Eventually we were ushered into a chemo room-- where we played Uno, and I believe that there was no clear victor after the 4th round. I then slept through the entire ordeal of receiving my very special chemo cocktail. After my nap, I was feeling pretty good so we saw the newly released Pride & Prejudice. This was excellent! Much MUCH better than the 5 hours of film by PBS / BBC. I highly recommend it.

I'm still disappointed with the lack of clarity of when I'll be done with treatment and what exactly treatment will look like. The three weeks I went without treatment were a great reminder of much missed sense of normalcy.
In the mean time it looks to be a very normal Thanksgiving for me. Tuesday I get to take Matt on his second journey to LaRue, OH. It promises to be laid back (and probably boring)-- I think boring may be a nice trade from our typical drama. Mostly I'm looking forward to seeing old pals, family, and the hot tub on the folk's back porch.

Happy Turkey Day everybody!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Sorry for the frustration, darlin'. But the end is NEAR! Its like being on those car trips as a kid and asking, 'are we almost there yet?' and the parents will always tell you, 'yes, we are almost there' when they actually don't have a clue. Does that make sense or do I need a another cup of tea? Another cup of tea wouldn't hurt....

amber said...

Dawn is awesome!

Can't wait to see you Wednesday, Meg!

the muse said...

Megs--it was my pleasure to spend the day with you. I only wish we could have spent the morning doing something more fun but you know, I haven't had the chance to hang out in a hospital lately, so it's all good. I have to admit that you were the clear Uno winner (Megs:3, Dawn:1, darnit darnit darnit!). Since playing uno tends to make me crazy, I hope I was gracious in defeat.

Hang in there with the treatments. I'm sure it's making you frustrated not knowing exactly what the plan is. But the good news is, treatment IS working and the growth is getting smaller. And I have no doubt whatsoever that you are going to kick cancer's ass and be done with it soon.