Sunday, September 25

Pie for breakfast sleep in your underwear.

After an painfully long journey of Alzheimer’s disease my Grandmother, Louise Hutchinson, passed away Friday.

She lived a remarkable life, and I'm proud of the legacy I've inherited (I attribute my dry quirky wit to this woman). When I think of her life I imagine it being far more exciting than it may have been. She lived all over the world, when that was unthinkable (I mean before planes were the primary means of international voyages). I envision her with bright and bold strokes. I’ve been reminiscing of how their house was what I now consider to be the combination of a museum and Pier One. Each visit to Colorado to see her was an adventure.

The pain of Alzheimer’s is that it robs a piece of a person slowly over time. She hasn't been herself for years, and by the time I was old enough to realize who she was, that piece was no longer accessible.

This week has been a return to normalcy to a degree. I'm wading in the waters of mid - semester with tides of work to be completed. Matt's youth program is in full swing. For the first time in a while we've returned to some familiar roles of being ships in the night.


If you want to spend sometime thinking about our friends in the South, listen to Randy Newman's song 'Louisiana 1927.' The chorus is simply 'They're trying to wash us away.'


In the face of uncertainty there is nothing wrong with hope.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma. I'd love to hear more about all of your family's adventures. I guess I was very lucky to have had my grandparents right across the road from me growing up.

Heather said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I am glad, however, to hear that your life has returned to a sense of normalcy. Amazing how normal behaviours are so comforting in times of upheaval.=)

the muse said...

I'm so sad to hear of your grandmother's passing. Having lost my granny to Alzheimer's too I know how hard that is when you find that your grandmother is no longer there, even though she is still alive. It really just stinks.

Glad to hear that things are returning to some semblance of normal for you. While I hate to think that I have a "routine," it's very comforting when things are crazy.

Anonymous said...

Your gramma sounds like the kind of person I would have liked.
You will always carry those parts of her that you either experienced or those parts that you heard about which touched you heart with you. Those things live in you always. I carry memories of my gramma and my great grandma although I never remember meeting either of them. I love you Megan and I cry for your loss.
Love
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Dear Megan,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma. My grandma, Lenora, was one of a kind and I hold such fond memories of her and boy did I learn alot about life from her. You and Matt are in my prayers.
Love-your cuz,
Cheryl