Thursday, September 1

Red Line Adventures

As I've been told various time by cancer survivors, one certainly does have their share of good days and bad days. After last week's chemo round I've been doing really well. I've ran with Matt, done yoga, and completed most of my reading for the second week of classes. All of that to say- even when you're doing well, something can rain on your parade. (Warning: the rest of this will be me whining).

I really just thought my allergies were acting up, I'm nearly obsessive about washing my hands, and I'm trying to avoid infections. Yet I got a sore throat this week, which led to a cough, which then led to a stuffy nose. So in order to breathe while sleeping I spent the night on the couch. As dawn approaches and I awake, I still feel like crap. Hoping it's just the remnant's of spending the night on the couch I plow on getting ready for the day. Slowly I make it to the morning train. About five or six stops after boarding the Red Line I realize that it's not just allergies, and that I need to abandon ship. I crawl out of my sardine can, sit on the platform and call my knight in shining armor who rescues me. Matt delivers me promptly to the UIC Medical Center.

At 'the center' I amaze medical experts with my alarmingly low blood pressure. Matt and I spend the morning and early afternoon baffling doctors. No cause was ever determined but I did receive some drugs for a sinus infection, and told firmly to 'TAKE IT EASY.'

Back at the ranch our defunct DVD unit is still being repaired in the Bronx, and our long weekend plans have been thrown out. Needless to say- Cancer sucks.

Have a happy and safe holiday weekend.

I am going to kick cancers ASS!

5 comments:

Andrew said...

So sorry to hear about your speedbump on the road of life. I am praying for you and for better days soon. Take care of yourself and have some herbal tea.

amber said...

Hang in there, Meg!
I hope tomorrow's a hopscotch kinda day for ya...

Love,
amber

the muse said...

Megs, so sad to hear you are not feeling well. Hang in there and please try to take it easy. It's hard to kick cancer's ass when you are flat on your back with a sinus infection!

Heather said...

Meg,

There's this video game that Brad is playing called The Getaway. It's one of those shoot-em-up and purposefully kill people games, but one of the funniest things about it to me is when you (the character) get shot, you can "fix" yourself by leaning on a wall. How long you lean depends on how many times you've been shot. It's hillarious because the guy groans and moans the whole time he's "healing." Only in a video game.

At any rate, just think about your time on the couch as leaning on the wall. You can groan and moan because you're hurting (totally acceptable), but you'll heal so you can kick some bad guy's (cancer's) ass tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

You Go GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonnie