Sunday, October 1

20 miles!!!

This weekend was our longest run ever, 20 miles! All week I’d been preparing for pain and agony through out the hours I’d spend trekking the distance. I would break down the distance into sizeable chunks in my head, then imagine myself running it—and it worked! I made it! It was my best run to date, I totally felt like I could have squeezed another 6.6 miles in to round it into my first marathon. I’m feeling ready and excited, now all I have to do is wait another 22 days for the event!

On our 18 mile run, I surpassed a level of lazy runner, which few of my running buddies imagined. I stopped on a bench around the 15-mile mark, and I took a nap! The distance was great; I made a poor decision to run with a slight cold, and an even worse decision to tackle a distance that great after taking a Sudafed. The 18-mile run took significantly more time and effort than the 20 mile this weekend, in short - Lesson learned.

Sadly, Thursday was my last day at my summer gig, so the job hunt is hot and heavy. After some conversations with co-workers and friends I’ve been persuaded that many of my strengths would make me really good at fund raising/ development for a university or hospital, or Quality Assurance within a non-profit. In the meantime I’m hoping to temp around the city, it’s not great money but it’s an income better than slinging coffee, with better hours.

Also! I’m searching for the right soundtrack for the marathon for my Mp3 player—Suggestions?

3 comments:

the muse said...

Megs, congrats on the 20 miles! That's excellent!! I'm so proud of you.

In terms of running music, here are a few suggestions:
"Be Good To Me" - Tina Turner
"R E S P E C T" - Aretha Franklin (of course!)
"Saving Grace" - Tom Petty

Yeah, I know, most of this is older stuff but they call it "classic rock" for a reason!

Heather said...

Meg,

First - Pink? I'm aghast!

Second - I got your message late last night and will be calling this weekend.

Third - I'm so proud of you for this accomplishment! I knew you could do it, but I'm still in amazement at your drive. I wish I had 1/10th of your motivation.

Fourth - Music. Well, here are some things I like to walk to:

"Hollarback Girl" and "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani

"Let's Get It Started" by Black Eyed Peas

"Enjoy the Silence" Depeche Mode

"We Can Be Heroes" The Replacements Soundtrack

Enjoy!

Missy said...

20 MILES!!!! That is so wrong!!! I'm lucky if I can go 20 Feet! I am really proud of you Megs! As for Music I am a total Billy Idol and Nickelback fan for Working out. Although there is something to be said for the BloodHound Gangs The Roof is on Fire.