Friday, August 12

one twelveth of the way there!

Chemo Session One Part A.
attendants: Kratt Mings, Kathy "Mom" Krings, Annie (music teacher and sis-in-law extraordinaire), and myself loaded up in Matt's little civic and went to Chemo today. We arrived to a crowded waiting room and used the time wisely. This is the first time I've seen Kathy post wedding, so we shared photos and filled each other in on our experiences of that day, and our honeymoon.ccIget called to have my vitals checked. Soon afterwards my room is ready, and the four of us cram into a tiny room- (or a very large closet with windows), with 2 recliners, 2 less comfortable looking chairs, a tv with a vcr, drawers and shelves filled with medical supplies, 2 iv racks, and what looks to be the evidence of another patient. Now I know that I'm not the only person in the entire world who has cancer right now, but I was really hoping for my own room- or even one of those hospital dividing curtains. None the less Mrs. Carlson was there when we got there and remained there when I was cleared to leave. As the room became over crowded Matt and Kathy would take turning chilling with the Chemo Queen.

The actual process of having the drugs administered really isn't all that bad. I had the most difficulty with the needles. Now I'm not afraid of needles, and my mother with attest that I have great veins (She, a professional hospital vampire, claims that she could hit my vein in the dark from across the room). So after the first two sticks do not work -I'm hurting and Kathy requests a new nurse to try. Nurse #2 tries twice and finally gets it in on the third try after proclaiming that I am tense, and that I need to relax my veins. (umm, not to be a complete jerk to this sweet lady but- I'M TENSE could be one of the milder adjectives I would choose to describe myself right now). Tuesday I'll be getting a a 'port' installed in my chest that will eliminate the needles and allow the nurses to administer the chemo through a value. Any way they got the IV started, then gave me a sample does of one of the drugs. We waited for an hour to see if I would have any adverse reaction- during which time we viewed the wedding video that our buddy Tonio-T shot. Once the hour or so had passed I was given a TON of anti nausea meds, and then the four 'gold standard' Hodgkin’s Chemo meds were given to me. Actual Chemo didn't take more than a little over an hour.

The experience wasn't horrible, or even bad, definitely annoying. On the lighter side, I feel fine now 6 hours after treatment, it was great to be surrounded by my new family members, I got my first super cool post card, and next time i'll know better what to expect. I may need a little help on tuesday. I have minor inpatient surgery that morning to insert the port, and much later that afternoon I have a CT scan scheduled. - Any one game for a day at UIC?

2 comments:

Laura said...

Princess Megan~ So with the minor surgery, your honey won't have a girl in every port, but a port in his girl. Glad to know that it went well and you made a new acquaintance to boot. And it's really a relief to know that you married into quality. Hugs. ~Laura
p.s. If it doesn't make 100% sense, just remember I had a beer for lunch and I'm a cheap date. lrf

Heather said...

Meg,

I'm glad your first chemo treatment went well, even if it was annoying. Now, about the iv - thing, will you still have that once the port is put in? If so, they have shots now that numb the vein before they put the iv in. I had it before both of my surgeries, and let me tell you, it was such a blessing. Now, I don't know if the numbing shot won't mix with your drugs so that's why they can't use it, but I would ask if you need the iv again.

Keep kickin' cancer's ass, Meg!

Love Ya!
Heather