Monday, June 4

Thinking of Linda *(laura’s mom)

In a diet related / domestic duty this weekend I attempted to gather about 10 or so really good fall back recipes for dinners. A task that was sparked from WW meetings and the TNT nutrition clinic. The dietician at the clinic recommended having a back up of ten or so recipes, and keeping most of those ingredients on hand.

So I looked at the notes in my cookbooks (something I learn from Grandma), and went about making a list of really good healthy things. Keeping in mind the standard things that we receive from our co-op. (The majority of what I eat anymore is determined by the organic co-op Matt and I joined and LOVE! I’m sure if you’ve read this blog long enough, or spoken to us you’ve heard us rave about this!) Happily the task was much easier than I anticipated, and there is now a list on the frig of dinner ideas.

On a regular basis we get greens like kale, spinach, swiss chard, and beet greens—things I didn’t grow up eating! So in looking for recipes I’m looking for things loaded with veggies, spice, that don’t need a lot of cheese. This weekend I discovered kale with polenta, and a baked curried tofu with cauliflower—both yum!


What made the list?
Simple things like:
Canned soup (non-cream based), Salads, Quesadas, Rice and Beans, Bean Burritos, & stir-fries.
More Complex things like:
Curries with tofu, Sautéed Greens, enchiladas, pastas with pesto,

What's not on the list?
take out menus, heat and serve frozen stir-fries, easy mac, anything breaded that has to be baked, other items that are so loaded with preservitives that mold won't eat it, white rice, and white pastas.

Do you even have one?
What’s on your list (or menu)?

2 comments:

amber said...

These days fruit, fruit, and more fruit.

Blueberries are #1, but I also like watermelon, strawberries & peaches.

I've always been MUCH more of a veggie eater than a fruit eater, but I guess pregnancy does strange things to your body, huh?

And sorry, but sometimes mac & cheese. And cauliflower.

Weird, huh?

Laura said...

How funny is it that my mom is remembered for this one thing time and again?

I would buy (in season) a whole watermelon, cut it up into chunks and eat that for a couple of days. Popcorn, when not dripping in butter and salt, is fab in fiber. I've been known to make a dinner of that alone (the joys of being single).

As for veggies, tomatoes come to mind and canning their summer goodness for the winter. Or making sundried tomatoes to enjoy later. Tasty.